Monday 17 May 2010

New Journey, New Ideas, New Technology

On my last bike adventure, I kept a diary. I used Internet cafes to type up and publish my thoughts for others to read. The only thing that I had a problem with, was the cost of some internet cafe charges. Sitting for over an hour typing as fast as I could to get information down. Maybe that method was good for Jack Kerouac. But for me, I make tons of spelling errors...

If only there was a way to reduce cyber-cafe costs, enable thorough document editing, and quickly upload? Hmm.. This question I have thought about for a long long time. And, after long consideration, I have come up with an answer: A notepad & pen.

The old Psion 5 Series! has been great. Well, that's been my ghetto computer of choice for a few years....

It's good because, I can type & edit documents, upload using a web-cafe, or even use a cell phone to upload/download/surf when in remote areas. Add to that, a cheap price on ebay, and a long long battery life using standard AA batteries...I think we have a clear winner. I've even installed a cool free chess game to keep me sane when alone for long periods. If, of course, that is at all possible.

So this is how we do it. Quite some time ago, I wrote another Blog here to explain about setting up web & email using the Ghetto Psion 5. My other option is simply to use the Compact Flash card from the Psion and transfer the text using a mini usb reader. That should reduce my Cyber cafe outlay by ummm... Let's wait and see. The scourge of the machine!

Anyway, Next wek i'm planning on using new writing technology. My Windows Mobile smartphone & bluetooth keyboard. With this, I can update my location using gps, record journey track data (now & again..batteries are limited), write emails, blog articles, and text, facebook, twitter, and so on... I'll miss the Psion, but it's going away in a box. Like dead people do..

Now, all I need to do is come up with enough money to survive the journey...Hmm..How's the job market these days? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'm alone in the middle of anywhere. Tell me it's going to be just fine.