Wednesday 19 May 2010

Equipment List

I thought I would spend a moment publishing my equipment list. I got many recommendations from people, websites, and fellow hardcore bike travellers over the years. You can see my original equipment list/guide at the bottom of the page: here.

Terra Nova Solar 1 tent -
I bought this on ebay for £40. Ebay Terra Nova Tents Here Damn Bargain of the century if you ask me! £280 new! Although now discontinued i believe. Its a red outer fly, with yellow inner. Single easton aluminium pole, weighs less than 2kg (dry!), And is absolutely watertight. As with all tents however, internal condensation can develop if not vented/ wet clothing is left inside the tent. Although......I've learned that they are selling now on ebay upto £180. EeeK!! I have respect for Terra Nova, Hilleberg, and Vaude tents. I'm thrilled with my tent though.

Lantern -
Free..Pinched from my Dad, as it was lying around untouched for a couple of years. I doubt he'll realise it's disappeared. I have searched high and low for the ideal touring lantern. I first used the Uco candle lantern. It was a very romantic idea, but it didn't produce a suitable amount of light. I've also seen these tiny led things, which could be a good idea in a few years, when they come down to 3-for-a-pound. If you want propper eye-melting wattage look for something like this from GoSystem. If anybody has found the perfect pocket lantern, be sure to let me know...

camping mat -
Good old yellow foam Karrimat. I've given up on the self-inflating camp mat. always punctures, and then, what's the point? Alpkit mats have been a good cheap idea, which have proved to be horrible..I've had three now, and all have gone. Cardboard is a great material...Those hobos know a thing or two. Pay attention rich people. Balloon bed make some wicked innovative ultra-light 'comedy' mats. I've also seen people using two cut foam squares, folded concertina-style. Can't think of the product's name, but i'd like one.

MSR XGK II stove -
The best stove available? New, it costs over a hundered smackeroonies. Burns any liquid fuel. However, I am still confused as to how I fill up the bottle at the petrol station? The pump hose wont fit inside the bottle neck. Perhaps a funnel? Spillage! I was going to buy a Primus Omnifuel stove because it burns LP gas cans too, but weighs twice as much as MSR. I bought the XGK again on eBay for £30. Ebay Msr Stoves Here. It included a foldable heat shield, spare bottle & xtra service kit! eBay is your friend! Roars like a space shuttle. I'd like to own an Msr Dragonfly because it simmers, and my stove is an all out fiery-rocket-onslaught. I've also seen the home-made alcohol stoves made from coke cans, and the whitebox stove which is made from a riveted alco-pop tin bottle. Good, light cheap idea. Not sure about cooking a real meal with it, four weeks into a ride though...

Ortlieb Classic Panniers & xs drybag -
I read all about these on various cycle touring sites. I initially had no idea, and was going to buy some nylon shite. Bought new, as eBay auctions weren't much cheaper. Ebay Ortlieb Panniers Here I guess they are desirable. If I couldn't afford the Ortlieb brand, Lidl supermarket do a cheap exact copy for £10 per bag. They seem the same weight, are strong, waterproof, and I'd be happy using them.

Altura Nevis Waterproof Jacket -
Bargain, in my book. I can't afford Gore tex. Except for...

Freestyle Gore Tex Hood - When I realised that the jacket didn't have a hood, I bought this on eBay for £7. Only downside, is that the jacket is Yellow, and the hood is red. But who cares anyhow?

Outwell teflon camping stove set & kettle -
Ebay for £5. Brand new kit. Couldn't refuse the offer. I figure the MSR stove will destroy the teflon coating in a couple of sessions.

Victorinox Swiss army knife -
ebay for £3. Has knife for eating, scissors, can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew etc etc..

Petzl Tikka head torch -
Had it for many years now. Takes Nimh AAA batteries which my camera takes also.

Alpkit Alpine Dream 700 Sleeping bag -
£100 for a relatively high quality down sleeping bag. I was going to get a Nanok bag. However, it weighs over 2.5kg I tried it out the other day in the house. Woke up covered in sweat. Note to self - Dont use sleeping bag indoors. I've also considered minimus bags by PHD (Pete Hutchinson designs), and the Vango venom bag. The Minimus bags have no zip to reduce weight. I like zips. I get scared being sealed in a bag. I've heard there are websites with people who like that kind of thing. Anyway, I'm going for the Vango next time, for summer travel, and price value, and compactability. Pete Hutchinson can wait until I have Pete Hutchinson dollars...

Rab Survival Zone Bivi -
The problem I have with down bags, is obviously, condensation. It can ruin your comfort. There are waterproof bags but they are expensive. The modern idea is to use a layered/hybrid bag - 1 season bag, fleece or silk liner, waterproof outer bivi. You can combine or separate as required...
I bought the rab bivi for £30 on ebay, shops sell the Survival Zone for around £45-50. It's going to stop my bag from getting wet, and to help me take mid-afternoon naps, at the side of the road, in the rain. It packs tiny and light, and I can't believe it's so capable. Magic..

Various other items -









Compact camera tripod, Home-made solar multi-charger, msr stove service kit, bike lock, lantern, cheap tesco bike gloves, clear lens Bolle work safety glasses, compass, Sansa Clip mp3 player (music & relaxation/meditation exercises), batteries, memory cards, Swiss army knife, pills & uppers, inner tube, passport, Bluetooth Gps phone adaptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'm alone in the middle of anywhere. Tell me it's going to be just fine.