Thursday 20 May 2010

Hurdles are annoying

Sometimes, things are just lousy. But, they crop up when we really need something. My journey next week, involves taking me around France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, and maybe Luxembourg.

After various research, I have found travel possibilities depending on my budget. Which is pretty low. I could get a return train fare to Brussels or Lille for £69 using eurostar, only the availability is really limited, and I was unable to get a ticket at that fare price. My other option is to sail on the ferry. I found a really good fare for cycle passengers using Norfolk line Ferries, travelling from Dover to Dunkerque for just £10 each way. Amazing value, and also placing me at a place I wanted to visit. The remaining dilemma was to organise travel to Dover. I thought about cycling to Dover from here in London. 80 miles, which would take a day. As I have only 8 days of cycling this would take 2 days of my journey total.

I have researched train journeys, and found that SouthEastern Rail runs train journeys from London St Pancras, or London Victoria, to Dover Priory- which is pretty much Dover, you just roll down the road to get to the ferry terminal.
Fares, are £29.80 off-peak return from London Victoria, which is the closest station to me. So, this lunchtime I went online to make a booking.

And, here's my hurdle. I booked using the online booking process, and the website stated that the transaction had been declined in red type. not a huge problem I might add. However, I checked my bank online statement, and the transaction had taken place. Now, the dilemma.

After calling Indian call centres for the bank and the train company, I was informed that the money had gone through, and will be refunded. But, it can take 24 hours to 4 days to refund. How can money be taken at an instant, but take up to four days to be given back? I have no idea.
My problem now, is that £30 of my travel money has evaporated, and I now only have £24 to play with. I don't even have enough to book another train ticket!

You see, I was planning to travel on a very limited budget. Under £50 for the train & ferry, £40 for my food: £5 per day.

So, cycling to Dover may now be the only alternative.. 2 days of my travel gone?

I don't know what's going to happen. I can only wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'm alone in the middle of anywhere. Tell me it's going to be just fine.